“I drink three to four large cups of coffee per day,” says Amy Mills, “and I’m one of those lucky people who can drink it at night and it won’t disturb my sleep!” It was a no-brainer for Mills, daughter of Memphis in May’s four-time world barbecue champion Mike Mills—the two of them helm Southern Illinois’ 17th Street Barbecue restaurants—to incorporate coffee into this otherwise traditional dry rub. Its sweet, earthy flavor is perfect for ribs.
Featured in: Put These Dry Rubs on Absolutely Everything
- 1⁄4 cup finely ground coffee
- 2 tbsp. dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. granulated onion
- 1⁄2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Mix all ingredients until combined. The rub will stay stored in an airtight container for up to 3 months.