Mashed potatoes get a bright makeover from avocados and lime juice in this recipe from Test Kitchen Director Farideh Sadeghin. Get more Simple Weeknight Meals.
- 3 lb. russet potatoes (about 4 large), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage (about 1 pound), thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 6 tbsp. fresh lime juice, plus wedges to serve
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. scallops (about 12)
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and roughly chopped
Cook potatoes in a 4-qt. saucepan filled with salted water until soft, 20-22 minutes; drain, then return potatoes to pan. Add cream, 5 tablespoons butter, salt, and pepper and lightly mash; keep warm.
Toss cabbage with 1⁄4 cup of the cilantro, half the lime juice, the vegetable oil, scallions, shallot, salt, and pepper; transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Heat olive oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high; season scallops with sugar, salt, and pepper. Add scallops to skillet and cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Flip scallops, add remaining tablespoon of butter, and baste scallops, cooking for 1 minute more; transfer scallops to a serving platter.
Add remaining cilantro and lime juice, plus the avocados, to the mashed potatoes and mash lightly to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper and serve with scallops, coleslaw, and lime wedges.