Brighten up any day with this simple roast chicken and fresh eggplant and herb salad.
Featured in: Throw Your Eggplants in a Salad
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice, plus 1 whole lemon, halved
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (3-4 pound) chicken
- 1 1⁄2 lb. mixed eggplants, larger ones halved lengthwise
- 5 oz. pitted kalamata olives, lightly smashed
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup ricotta cheese
- Heat oven to 425°. Mix 1 tablespoon each basil, mint, and oregano with 1⁄4 cup each lemon juice and olive oil plus the garlic, salt, and pepper. Rub mixture all over chicken and and place in an 8-inch by 11-inch baking dish; cook chicken until golden and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165°, about 45 minutes. Let chicken rest 10 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high; season eggplants with salt and pepper and cook until charred all over, 8-10 minutes. Squeeze whole lemon over eggplant and place in the oven; bake another 4-5 minutes until eggplants are soft. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- To serve, toss eggplants with remaining basil, mint, oregano, lemon juice and olive oil, plus the olives, red onion, salt, and pepper. Transfer to a serving platter and dot with ricotta cheese. Serve with chicken.