Brighten up any day with this simple roast chicken and fresh eggplant and herb salad.
Featured in: Throw Your Eggplants in a Salad
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice, plus 1 whole lemon, halved
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (3-4 pound) chicken
- 1 1⁄2 lb. mixed eggplants, larger ones halved lengthwise
- 5 oz. pitted kalamata olives, lightly smashed
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup ricotta cheese
Heat oven to 425°. Mix 1 tablespoon each basil, mint, and oregano with 1⁄4 cup each lemon juice and olive oil plus the garlic, salt, and pepper. Rub mixture all over chicken and and place in an 8-inch by 11-inch baking dish; cook chicken until golden and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165°, about 45 minutes. Let chicken rest 10 minutes before carving.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high; season eggplants with salt and pepper and cook until charred all over, 8-10 minutes. Squeeze whole lemon over eggplant and place in the oven; bake another 4-5 minutes until eggplants are soft. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
To serve, toss eggplants with remaining basil, mint, oregano, lemon juice and olive oil, plus the olives, red onion, salt, and pepper. Transfer to a serving platter and dot with ricotta cheese. Serve with chicken.