Cinnamon and allspice add distinctive flavor to this version of the classic Middle Eastern parsley salad. The recipe comes from writer Anissa Helou, who tasted a tabbouleh like this one while exploring the markets of Damascus.
- 3 tbsp. fine bulgur
- 1 lb. ripe tomatoes, cored and minced
- 3 1⁄2 cups minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1⁄4 cups minced mint leaves
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 5 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine bulgur and 1⁄2 cup warm water in a bowl and let soak for 10 minutes. Drain bulgur, rinse thoroughly, and transfer to a large bowl along with remaining ingredients. Toss to combine; serve immediately.