Avocado is an unlikely but delicious pairing for smoked whitefish, and this guacamole is a smokier, creamier spin on classic whitefish salad. Chipotle and habanero add smoke and heat, while pickled onions brighten everything up.
Featured in: Give Your Hanukkah Spread a Mexican Spin
- 5 tbsp. minced red onion
- 2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup smoked whitefish
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. adobo sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp. minced chives
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and roughly chopped
- kosher salt
- In a large bowl, stir the onion, cilantro, jalapeno, and lime juice together and let stand for 5 minutes. Add the whitefish, mayonnaise, adobo sauce, chives, and avocados and stir until evenly combined. Serve the guacamole with tortilla chips.