Use salt-packed anchovy fillets to make this antipasto from Luciano De Giacomi’s Nonna Genia’s Classic Langhe Cookbook (Astilibri, 1982).
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup minced basil
- 1⁄4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 hard-boiled egg yolks
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 4 oz. (about 20) anchovies, rinsed, soaked, and butterflied Country style bread, for serving
- In a bowl, whisk together oil, basil, parsley, vinegar, chile flakes, garlic, and yolks; season lightly with salt. Pat anchovies dry; arrange a third of the anchovies in a bowl and cover with a third of the parsley sauce; repeat twice more. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Serve with bread.