Use the freshest salad greens and herbs you can, organic if possible, for this salad.
- 30 baby beets, preferably of assorted colors, trimmed, rinsed, and patted dry
- 8-9 Tbsp. fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- 6 thin slices walnut bread (not sweet)
- 2-3 Tbsp. champagne vinegar
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 (4-oz.) logs soft goat cheese, halved
- 6 oz. (about 7 cups) mixed baby salad greens, washed and dried
- 5 chives, coarsely chopped
- Leaves from 5 sprigs chervil
- Leaves from 3 sprigs tarragon
- Small sprigs from 2 stems dill
- Leaves from 2 sprigs parsley
- Pinch sugar
Preheat oven to 400°. Toss beets with 1 tbsp. of the oil and salt to taste, transfer to a large sheet of foil, and fold foil edges together, tightly sealing packet. Roast beets until soft, 30–60 minutes, depending on size of beets. Meanwhile, spread bread slices out on a sheet pan, drizzle with 1 tbsp. of the oil, and lightly toast in the oven. Set toast aside.
Unwrap beets, peel, and cut in half. Toss beets with vinegar, shallots, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl and marinate for 1 hour. Put cheese on a plate, drizzle with 4 tbsp. of the oil, season to taste with pepper, and marinate for 1 hour. Put 1 piece of cheese on each piece of toast, setting plate of oil aside, and heat in 400° oven until warm, 6-8 minutes.
Put salad greens, chives, chervil, tarragon, dill, parsley, remaining 2-3 tbsp. oil, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste into a bowl and toss well. Add beets and toss again. Adjust seasonings. Divide salad between 6 plates. Drizzle reserved marinating oil over cheese toasts, then divide toasts between the plates.
Continue to Next Story