Carles Gaig based this creation on his grandmother’s traditional Barcelona-style canelons, typical fonda (inn) fare of an earlier time.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, plus 1 tsp. for greasing
- 5 oz. boneless veal shoulder, cut into 2" pieces
- 5 oz. boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 small yellow onion peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp. marsala
- 2 oz. foie gras, cubed
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped jarred black truffle
- 5 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk, hot
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 18 cannelloni wrappers
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the filling: Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Season veal and pork with salt and pepper, then brown well all over, 6-8 minutes. Add onions and garlic and saute until lightly browned, 2-4 minutes. Add marsala and cook for 1 minute, scraping browned bits stuck to bottom of pot with a wooden spoon. Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover pot, and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour. Add foie gras and simmer for 10 minutes more. Strain broth into a bowl. Put meat mixture into a food processor, pulse until finely chopped, then transfer to a medium bowl. Stir broth, then moisten meat mixture with 1⁄3 cup of the broth and set aside.
- For the truffle sauce: Simmer cream and chicken stock together in a medium saucepan over medium heat until reduced by two-thirds, about 1 hour. Stir in truffles and keep warm over lowest heat.
- For the bechamel: Melt 1 tbsp. butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Whisk in hot milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thick, about 15 minutes. Add nutmeg, season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- To assemble and serve: Preheat oven to 350°. Cook cannelloni wrappers, several sheets at a time, in a large pot of salted boiling water until tender, about 12 minutes. Dip wrappers briefly into a large bowl of ice water as you remove them from boiling water, then lay them out, not touching, on clean damp dish towels. Working with 1 wrapper at a time, spread about 1 tbsp. of the meat mixture along edge nearest you, then roll up jelly roll style. Transfer canneloni to an oiled medium baking dish, seam side down, in a single layer. Spread bechamel on top and bake until heated through, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and dot with remaining butter, then brown under broiler for 3-4 minutes. divide sauce between 6 warm bowls, put 3 cannelloni into each bowl, and serve immediately.