Cannelloni with Truffle Cream (Canelons amb una Crema de Tofona)
This recipe of rich pork and veal stuffed pasta, baked with bechamel and truffle cream is based on the typical food of the Catalan inns of northern Spain.
Yield: serves 6
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, plus 1 tsp. for greasing
- 5 oz. boneless veal shoulder, cut into 2" pieces
- 5 oz. boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 small yellow onion peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp. marsala
- 2 oz. foie gras, cubed
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped jarred black truffle
- 5 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk, hot
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 18 cannelloni wrappers
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the filling: Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Season veal and pork with salt and pepper, then brown well all over, 6-8 minutes. Add onions and garlic and saute until lightly browned, 2-4 minutes. Add marsala and cook for 1 minute, scraping browned bits stuck to bottom of pot with a wooden spoon. Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover pot, and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour. Add foie gras and simmer for 10 minutes more. Strain broth into a bowl. Put meat mixture into a food processor, pulse until finely chopped, then transfer to a medium bowl. Stir broth, then moisten meat mixture with 1⁄3 cup of the broth and set aside.
- For the truffle sauce: Simmer cream and chicken stock together in a medium saucepan over medium heat until reduced by two-thirds, about 1 hour. Stir in truffles and keep warm over lowest heat.
- For the bechamel: Melt 1 tbsp. butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Whisk in hot milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thick, about 15 minutes. Add nutmeg, season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- To assemble and serve: Preheat oven to 350°. Cook cannelloni wrappers, several sheets at a time, in a large pot of salted boiling water until tender, about 12 minutes. Dip wrappers briefly into a large bowl of ice water as you remove them from boiling water, then lay them out, not touching, on clean damp dish towels. Working with 1 wrapper at a time, spread about 1 tbsp. of the meat mixture along edge nearest you, then roll up jelly roll style. Transfer canneloni to an oiled medium baking dish, seam side down, in a single layer. Spread bechamel on top and bake until heated through, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and dot with remaining butter, then brown under broiler for 3-4 minutes. divide sauce between 6 warm bowls, put 3 cannelloni into each bowl, and serve immediately.