The chicken in this dish is kept separate from the sauce until the end to preserve its succulence.
- 1 tbsp. ground turmeric
- 4 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. red food coloring (optional)
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (2 1⁄2") piece ginger, peeled and chopped, plus julienned strips for garnish
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed and chopped
- 1 (28-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1⁄2" cubes
- 1⁄4 cup Greek yogurt, such as Fage
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 2 small yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Cooked basmati rice, for serving
In a blender, purée turmeric, 2 tsp. garam masala, coloring, garlic, ginger, jalapeños, and 1⁄2 cup water. Put paste into a bowl. In the same blender, purée tomatoes and strain through a sieve. In a bowl, mix 2 tbsp. paste, chicken, yogurt, and salt; marinate for 30 minutes. Place oven rack 4" from heating element; heat to broil. Transfer chicken to a foil-lined sheet tray; broil until cooked, 5–6 minutes; set aside.
Heat butter in 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add coriander and cumin; toast 4–6 minutes. Add paprika and onions; cook until soft, 6–8 minutes. Add remaining paste; brown for 5–6 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and 1 cup water; boil. Reduce heat; simmer until thickened, 6–8 minutes. Stir in remaining masala and chicken; season with salt. Serve with garnishes and rice.