The Italian anchovy sauce colatura di alici lends a deep umami flavor to this pasta dish from chef Justin Smillie of Manhattan's Il Buco Alimentari & Vineria. This recipe first appeared in the iPad edition of our Jan/Feb 2013 issue along the article Il Buco Alimentari & Vineria.
- 1⁄2 lb. farro spaghetti
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 lb. saltwater-packed sea urchin, drained, 1/2 cup brine reserved (Available from The Lobster Place)
- 2 tsp. colatura di alici (Available from Amazon.com)
- 1⁄4 tsp. piment d'Espelette (Available from Amazon.com)
- 2 tbsp. chives, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta; cook until al dente, about 11 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until chilled; set aside.
In a bowl, whisk sea urchin, reserved brine, colatura, piment d'Espelette, 2 tbsp. chives, oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper; add pasta and toss to combine. Divide between 2 bowls, drizzle with more olive oil and garnish with chives.