Csirkepaprikás (Chicken with Paprika)
This rustic, rib-sticking chicken stew is full of warming paprika, cumin, and chiles. Pair it with something starchy, like buttered potatoes or Romanian polenta with sour cream.
Yield: makes 6-8
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ( 3-4-lb.) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red Holland chile, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper, and dredge in flour; add chicken to pan, and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate, and set aside.
- Add garlic, bell peppers, celery, carrot, onion, and chile, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add tomato paste, paprika, and cumin, and cook, stirring, until lightly caramelized, about 2 minutes. Return chicken to pan along with stock, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter, and pour cooking liquid through a strainer into a bowl; discard solids. Season liquid with salt and pepper, and pour over chicken. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.