Fresh Mushroom Cutlets with Mornay Sauce
This throwback to the Ranch House restaurant is still a popular choice with vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.
Yield: serves 4
For the Sauce
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch white pepper
- Pinch cayenne
- 2 tsp. <a href="http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Herb-Salt-Seasoning-Blend">herb salt</a>
- 1 tbsp. sherry
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup grated mild cheddar cheese
For the Cutlets
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. <a href="http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Herb-Salt-Seasoning-Blend">herb salt</a>
- 1⁄2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 scallions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated mild cheddar cheese
- 4 tbsp. butter
- For the sauce: Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Add milk, half-and-half, and bay leaf, whisking until sauce thickens, about 8 minutes. Stir in pepper, cayenne, herb salt, sherry, Worcestershire sauce, and cheese until smooth, then cover and keep warm.
- For the cutlets: Beat together eggs, herb salt, and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl. Mix in mushrooms, scallions, bread crumbs, and cheese. Shape into 8½''-thick patties. Heat 2 tbsp. butter in a skillet over medium heat. Fry patties in 2 batches until crisp and brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Serve mushroom cutlets with Mornay sauce, garnished with scallions if desired.