Ham and Smoked Mozzarella Fritters (Frittatine di Pasta)
Coiled strands of spaghetti soak up a creamy sauce in these delectable fried ham and cheese fritters.
- 10 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 cups heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. dried spaghetti
- 4 oz. cooked Italian ham, cut into ¼" pieces
- 8 oz. smoked mozzarella, cut into ¼" pieces
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 cups plain bread crumbs
- Melt butter in a 1-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add ½ cup flour; cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add cream; boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until thickened, 4-5 minutes. Set sauce aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish. Cook pasta until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl. Add reserved sauce, ham, mozzarella, salt, and pepper; mix until combined. Press pasta mixture into baking dish; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1½ hours.
- Pour enough canola oil into a 6-qt. saucepan to a depth of 2". Heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 325°. Whisk remaining flour with 1 cup water into a batter. Put bread crumbs in a bowl. Using a 2" round cutter, cut out 30 rounds out of pasta mixture. Dip rounds in batter; roll in bread crumbs. Fry until golden and crisp, 2-3 minutes. Serve hot.