Iowa Fried Morels
The morels for this dish, whose name recalls author Mitch Omer’s Iowa youth, must be fresh and plump.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 25 medium fresh morels
- 6 tbsp. butter
- lemon wedges
- Season flour with a pinch of salt and a pinch pepper, then divide between two small bowls.
- Combine eggs with 1⁄4 cup water in a third small bowl.
- Clean and trim morels. Melt butter in a large straight-sided skillet over medium heat.
- Prepare morels for frying by dipping them into first bowl of flour, then into egg, then into second bowl of flour. Shake off excess flour, then cook, in two batches, turning once, until crisp, 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with salt, and serve with lemon wedges.