This kafta recipe is adapted from Annia Ciezadlo's Day of Honey (Simon & Schuster, 2011). This recipe first appeared in our May 2011 issue, with the article The World of Satay.
What You Will Need
- 8 oz. ground beef chuck
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. Aleppo pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground allspice
- 3⁄4 tsp. dried mint
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, grated, drained in a strainer
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Build a hot charcoal fire in a grill. In a large bowl, stir together beef, parsley, tomatoes, Aleppo, allspice, mint, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, onions, salt, and pepper. Form 1 tbsp. beef mixture each around the end of 22 skewers; grill, turning, until lightly charred, about 4 minutes.