Our take on the popular Leon Salad served at La Scala in Beverly Hills (see Salad City) calls for marinating chickpeas, salami, and cheese in a red wine vinaigrette.
- 8 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄4 tsp. dried mustard
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and minced into a paste
- 1 (12-oz.) can chickpeas, drained
- 4 oz. sliced provolone, cut into 1/4" strips
- 4 oz. baby mozzarella balls, drained and quartered
- 1 (4-oz.) piece salami, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise into 1/4"-thick pieces
- 1⁄4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 2 hearts of romaine, finely chopped
- 1 head radicchio di Treviso or regular radicchio, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, thyme, oregano, mustard, chile flakes, and garlic. Stir in chickpeas, provolone, mozzarella, salami, and onions; cover. Let marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
Combine basil, parsley, mint, romaine, and radicchio in a large bowl and transfer to a serving platter. To serve, top lettuces and herbs with marinated chickpea mixture and season with salt and pepper.