Italians have long used walnuts for pesto; they lend a rich earthiness to the sauce. This pesto is perfect as a pasta sauce and a bruschetta topping. This recipe first appeared in SAVEUR Issue #140 along with Laura Schenone’s story Glorious Pesto.
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed basil
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup toasted walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated pecorino
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Process basil, oil, walnuts, pecorino, parmesan, tomatoes, and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped; season with salt and pepper.