Cookbook author Clifford Wright serves this Sardinian dish as an accompaniment to lamb and eats the leftovers as antipasto.
Yield: serves 6
- 1-2 lb. head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into 6 wedges
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of saffron threads crumbled in a mortar with 1/2 tsp. salt
- 10 imported green olives, pitted
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Toss the cauliflower pieces with the olive oil in a large bowl. Toss again with the saffron.
- Place the cut-up cauliflower in a large baking pan in a single layer. Sprinkle the olives around in the spaces between. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil so the stem can't escape, and bake until the cauliflower is tender, about 1 hour. Serve hot or at room temperature.