This dish, whose topping resembles a tapenade, is wonderful served alongside roast potatoes. This recipe first appeared in our December 2011 issue along with the special feature Italian America.
- ⅓ cups olive oil
- ¼ cups pitted kalamata olives
- ¼ cups pitted green olives
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. capers, rinsed
- 2 anchovy filets
- 1 tomato, cored and chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 4-oz. fillets sole or flounder
- Combine 2 tbsp. oil, olives, parsley, garlic, vinegar, capers, anchovies, tomato, and salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped; set tapenade aside. Heat remaining oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add sole; cook, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Top each fillet with tapenade before serving.