Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado
Avocado and a light herbed mayonnaise add an elegant, unexpected touch to this simple shrimp cocktail.
Yield: serves 8
- 32 large shrimp
- 1⁄4 cup minced herbs, such as basil, chervil, and parsley
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heads bibb lettuce
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Poach shrimp for 3 minutes. Drain and cool under cold running water. Peel and devein, leaving tails on. Refrigerate.
- Combine herbs, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper and refrigerate.
- Pull leaves from lettuce and divide among eight dishes. Top with avocado and shrimp. Dress with sauce. Garnish with chives.