The size of shrimp in shrimp cocktail can vary drastically, but we like using the largest prawns we can find for this traditional hors d'oeuvre.
- 32 large shrimp
- 1⁄4 cup minced herbs, such as basil, chervil, and parsley
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heads bibb lettuce
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
Poach shrimp for 3 minutes. Drain and cool under cold running water. Peel and devein, leaving tails on. Refrigerate.
Combine herbs, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper and refrigerate.
Pull leaves from lettuce and divide among eight dishes. Top with avocado and shrimp. Dress with sauce. Garnish with chives.