Steam Clams with Ham in White Wine
We based this recipe on one used at Cal Pep restaurant in Barcelona.
Yield: serves 4
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 4 oz. diced serrano ham or prosciutto
- 4 small dried red chiles
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup dried white wine
- 3 lb. manila or littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Crusty bread
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ham or prosciutto, chiles, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until ham is slightly crisp and garlic is golden but not burned, 2-3 minutes.
- Add wine and cook for 1 minutes. Add 1⁄2 cup water and bring to a simmer. Add clams, cover, and cook over high heat until shells open, 6-8 minutes. Discard any shells that don't open. Sprinkle clams with parsley and serve with crusty bread, if you like.