This is an easy-to-prepare first course that captures the essence of summer.
This easy-to-prepare first course captures the essence of summer.
Yield: serves 6
- 6 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 2 1⁄2 tsp. unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup bottled tomato juice
- 3 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Working over a bowl, grate tomatoes using the large-hole side of a box grater; discard skins. Strain pulp and juice through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into a bowl; press gently to extract all the liquid. You should have about 2 cups. (Discard solids.)
- Pour 2⁄3 cup water into a small pot; sprinkle gelatin over water; let soften, 1–2 minutes. Heat mixture over medium-low heat, stirring, to dissolve gelatin, 1–2 minutes. Remove from heat; add 1⁄2 cup reserved fresh tomato juice; stir to combine. Add remaining fresh tomato juice, bottled tomato juice, orange juice, salt, and pepper; stir well.
- Divide mixture between six 3⁄4-cup bowls; let chill, covered, until set, 5–6 hours. Garnish with basil leaves.