While visiting Venice we happened upon a tiny trattoria named Alle Testiere, which turned out some of the best shellfish dishes we’ve ever had. Luckily, they shared the recipes of our favorites, including this one.
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 3⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 lb. manila or littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 3⁄4 cup tocai friulano or other dry Friuli white wine
- 1 (1″) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 4 sprigs parsley, trimmed and minced
- Place garlic, oil, clams, and 1⁄2 cup water in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cover the skillet and cook, shaking skillet over the heat several times, for 3–4 minutes.
- Add wine and ginger and continue cooking, uncovered, until clams have opened, about 3 minutes more, discarding those that remain closed.
- Transfer clams and broth to a serving platter, and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with lemon wedges, if you like.