- Start by making truffles: bring cream to a boil and pour it over chopped chocolate and rum in a medium bowl. Let this sit for one minute. Stir until smooth, then let sit until firm.
- Divide the mixture and roll it into six balls. Chill these truffles until set.
- For the cakes: beat together sugar, vanilla, salt, and eggs until the form ribbons when liften from the beaters.
- Add melted chocolate and flour, and mix well.
- Divide half the batter between six buttered and floured ramekins and place a chilled truffle in the center of each.
- Top with remaining batter, and smooth the tops with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the cake is just done.
- Let cakes cool for one minute, then gently invert each onto a serving plate.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar, and serve them immediatly to ensure the molten chocolate oozes out to create a sauce for the cakes.
See the complete recipe for Molten Chocolate Cakes »