Noodles with Peas (Pasta e Piselli)
This simple pasta comes from Romeo Salta’s The Pleasures of Italian Cooking, which Managing Editor Camille Rankin once received as a gift from her mother. The always-comforting combination of peas, bacon, and cheese comes together in less than half an hour.
Featured in: TBT: An Italian Cookbook from Mom by Camille Rankin
- 3 cups peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 slices bacon, dliced
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 lb. pasta, such as fettuccine
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 tsp. sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine peas, butter, bacon, onion, and 3⁄4 cup water in a 12″ skillet over medium-high.
- Cook until water has evaporated and peas are cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil; add pasta, and cook until al dente, 10 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of water.
- Add pasta, water, parmesan, sugar, salt, and pepper to skillet with peas and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.