Parmesan-Crusted Halibut with Broccoli Rabe and Mashed Potatoes
These flaky cheese-crusted halibut fillets are topped with a bright parsley sauce and paired with pan-seared broccoli rabe and garlicky mashed potatoes.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 bunches broccoli rabe, stems trimmed
- 1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 10 cloves garlic (6 roasted and 4 minced)
- 1⁄8 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan
- 4 (6-oz.) fillets boneless, skinless halibut or cod
- Purée parsley, 1⁄4 cup oil, salt, and pepper in a food processor until smooth; set aside. Bring a 4-qt. saucepan of salted water to a boil; cook broccoli rabe until just tender, 1–2 minutes. Drain and transfer to an ice bath until chilled; spread on paper towels to dry. Add potatoes and 2 cups water to pan; boil until tender, 18–20 minutes, then drain and return to pan. Add stock, roasted garlic, salt, and pepper; mash until smooth and keep warm.
- Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic, chile flakes, and shallot; cook until soft, about 1 minute. Add broccoli rabe, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 3–4 minutes. Transfer to a plate; keep warm.
- Place flour and eggs in 2 separate shallow dishes; mix panko and parmesan in another shallow dish. Wipe skillet clean; heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Season halibut with salt and pepper; dredge in flour, dip in eggs, and coat in panko mixture. Fry, flipping once, until golden brown and cooked through, 3–4 minutes. To serve, divide mashed potatoes, broccoli rabe, and halibut between 4 plates; spoon reserved parsley sauce over halibut.