Protein-rich red lentils and hearty butternut squash are transformed into a silky soup; served with flatbread, it’s a simple and comforting main course. Check out all of our soup recipes here.
Featured in: "Heart of Palestine."
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 small butternut squash (about 1 lb.) peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup red lentils
- Finely chopped Italian parsley, for garnish
- Paprika, for garnish
- Flatbread and lemon wedges, for serving
This inexpensive, easy-to-cook vegetarian protein is endlessly adaptable.