Soba Noodle Salad with Miso and Grilled Prawns
Miso is one of my favorite ingredients; I love it in dips, dressings, marinades. Here, I made a miso marinade that doubles as a dressing for a flavorful salad composed of watercress, scallions, and soba noodles. I like to add a handful of chef Benjamin Sukle’s toasted seeds for a little sweetness and crunch; ever since we tested his recipe in our kitchen, I’ve been obsessed with them. —Farideh Sadeghin, test kitchen director
- 1⁄2 cup sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup mirin
- 2 tbsp. white miso
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined tail-on shrimp (about 24)
- 1 (8-oz.) package soba noodles
- 6 oz. watercress
- 4 scallions, cut into 1 1/2″ pieces
- 2 tbsp. toasted seeds
- Whisk oil, mirin, and miso in a bowl. Toss shrimp with half, cover, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes; reserve remaining marinade to dress your salad.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil; cook soba, stirring occasionally, 6-8 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool. Toss with remaining marinade, watercress, and scallions.
- Meanwhile, build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium. (Alternatively, heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat.) Thread shrimp onto skewers; grill, turning once, until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Serve with soba salad and toasted seeds.