In this offbeat cabbage slaw from chef Chris Shepherd of Underbelly in Houston, raw red cabbage adds a textural contrast to the grilled green cabbage, and a zippy, spicy-sweet-salty dressing goes well with the charred bits. If you’re looking for a way to balance out all the meaty (or not meaty) things you’re grilling, check out all of our slaw recipes.
Featured in: "A Houston Cookout with a Far East Reach."
What You Will Need
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. sambal oelek
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 head green cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 red bird’s eye chiles, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 head red cabbage, thinly sliced