Inspired by the ocakbaşı restaurants of London’s Little Istanbul, this tangy onion salad from cookbook author Yasmin Khan is a common accompaniment to kebabs. While it is typically made using the juice from pickled turnips, feel free to use any sour pickle juice you have as a substitute.
Featured in: "The Unifying Power of London's Turkish Grill Houses."
- 3 medium white onions, each cut into 6 wedges
- ¼ cups extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1⁄4 cup pomegranate molasses
- 2 tbsp. sour pickle juice
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. ground sumac
- 1 tsp. Aleppo pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp. chopped mint leaves
The humble onion is often treated as an afterthought, but handled correctly can star in dishes. See our top 50 Onion Recipes »
Continue to Next Story