"This was one of my favorites as a kid. The flavor is sweet, salty, and tangy, but it all balances out. Plus it's meat on a stick, and what kid—or adult—doesn't love that?" –Lean Cohen of Pig & Khao. Note: Allow at least one day for marinating.
Featured in: A Feast for Filipinos
- 2 1⁄2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup banana ketchup
- 2 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Sprite
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- Scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Crispy garlic, (follow Step 4 in this recipe) for serving
Combine soy sauce, banana ketchup, pepper, Sprite, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, sugar, and salt in a bowl; add chicken and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Light a grill. Thread chicken onto skewers, reserving marinade, and brush with oil; grill, turning as needed and brushing with reserved marinade until charred and cooked, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with scallions and crispy garlic.