Tart rhubarb is a perfect foil for these delightfully-rich tiny almond-brown butter cakes.
Yield: serves 8
- 17 tbsp. butter
- 2 stalks rhubarb, peeled and cut into 1/3-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup almonds, ground
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 5 egg whites
- 1 tbsp. glucose syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°. Melt 14 tbsp. of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat, swirling pan until milk solids have browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside to let cool.
- Wipe out skillet, then melt 2 tbsp. of the butter over medium-low heat. Add rhubarb and 2 tbsp. of the granulated sugar and cook, stirring often, until just fork tender, 6-8 minutes. Set aside to let cool slightly.
- Combine remaining granulated sugar, almonds, confectioners' sugar, and flour in a medium bowl. Whisk egg whites in a separate medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Add browned butter, warm rhubarb, stiff egg whites, and glucose syrup to the dry ingredients and fold together to combine.
- Grease eight 2"-deep and 3 1⁄2"-wide ramekins with remaining butter. Divide batter evenly between molds and bake on a sheet tray until dark golden brown and cooked through, about 40 minutes. Unmold financiers and let cool slightly on a wire rack.