While Charleston-based chef Sean Brock insists that a store-bought barbecue sauce will work perfectly well on his Char-Smoked Baby Back Ribs, we prefer the homemade Carolina-style version adapted from his book, Heritage (Artisan, 2014).
Featured in: The New Grilling Essentials
- 1⁄2 cup pork or chicken stock
- 2 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 3⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. onion powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. chile powder
- Heat all ingredients in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium-high; simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced by 2⁄3, about 30 minutes. Sauce will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.