Briny sardines and fragrant lemongrass make a sweet-and-spicy salad when bolstered with red onions and an easy Thai chile sauce.
Featured in: Embrace the Isaan Slow Burn
- 2 tbsp. Thai sweet chile sauce
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 piece lemongrass, tough outer leaves discarded, inner core thinly sliced
- 1 3 3⁄4-oz can sardines in water, drained, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups cups lightly packed torn cilantro leaves and stems
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
In a large bowl, whisk the sweet chile sauce with the lime juice and salt. Add the cilantro, sardines, lemongrass, and red onion, and toss to combine. Transfer the salad to a platter and serve immediately.