Frangipane can be made up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container; it’s far easier to spread and smooth once chilled. During assembly, there’s no need to push fruit into the filling: While baking, the frangipane will rise up and blanket it as it browns. Use as a filling for Almond Frangipane Tart with Cranberries and Honeyed Pistachios.
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. (3.5 oz.) almond paste
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 tsp. finely grated orange zest
- 3 tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the sugar, almond paste, and 1 egg on medium speed until blended. Add the butter, vanilla, and zest and beat until smooth. Scrape down the bowl, then beat in the remaining egg.
- In a separate bowl, briefly whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and beat at low speed until just absorbed. Transfer to a storage container, cover, and chill for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.