Alice Medrich's House Truffles
"First Lady of Chocolate" Alice Medrich enriches her unparalleled chocolate truffles with egg yolks—they're positively sinful!
Yield: makes 4 dozen truffles
- 1 lb. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 10 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 2 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- Line an 8" x 8" baking pan with foil; set aside. Melt chocolate, butter, and salt in a 2-qt. saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently until smooth, 8 to 10 minutes; transfer to food processor and set aside. Place the yolks in a bowl, and whisking constantly, slowly pour in 1⁄2 cup boiling water. Strain and add to chocolate mixture; puree until smooth. Spread evenly into prepared pan; chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Place cocoa powder in a bowl. Invert chocolate block onto cutting board; discard foil. Cut into 1" squares, toss with powder, and arrange in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; chill until set, 10 to 15 minutes.