Mexican Rice (Arroz a la Mexicana)
This vibrant rice is served with virtually every meal in Zacatecas.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place stock, tomatoes, 1 clove garlic, and onion in a blender and purée until smooth; set tomato mixture aside.
- Heat oil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat; add remaining garlic and rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Stir in tomato mixture, season with salt and pepper, and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, until rice is tender and has absorbed all liquid, 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Gently fluff the rice with a fork.