This refreshing salt cod salad is a staple Italian-American Christmas Eve dish. This recipe first appeared in our December 2011 issue along with the special feature Italian America.
- 2 lb. salt cod
- 2 cups roughly chopped jarred sweet pimiento peppers
- 1 cup roughly chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 3⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tbsp. capers, rinsed
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 medium head escarole, cored and leaves separated
- Place cod in a 2-qt. saucepan, and cover by 2″ with cold water; boil for 20 minutes. Drain, return cod to saucepan, and repeat process twice. Drain, and cut into 1″ chunks; transfer to a bowl and toss with peppers, olives, parsley, oil, capers, black pepper, chile flakes, garlic, celery, juice, and salt; chill for 2 hours. Arrange escarole on a serving platter; top with salt cod salad.