When Beckett Howorth, a home cook, started making this casserole, stone-ground grits were hard to find; now he doesn’t use anything else.
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 1 recipe Basic Grits or Crock Pot Grits, hot
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated on large holes of a box grater
- 3 Tbsp. half-and-half
- 1 egg, well beaten
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a small casserole or other deep baking dish with 1 tbsp. of the butter and set aside.
- Put hot cooked grits into a bowl and stir in garlic and the remaining butter. Season to taste with pepper. Stir in cheese, one-third at a time. Add half-and-half, mix well, then stir in egg. Pour cheese-grits mixture into prepared casserole. Bake until lightly golden on top and bubbling, about 45 minutes. Set aside to cool briefly before serving.