Fresh blueberries bolstered by jam make these donuts especially flavorful.
Yield: makes 14 DONUTS
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3⁄4 cup blueberry jam
- 4 cups (1 lb. 2 oz.) bread flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Canola oil, for forming and frying
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Mash blueberries and half the jam in a bowl; set aside. Whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ½ tsp. salt, and nutmeg in a bowl; set aside. Combine sugar, butter, and 2 tsp. vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment; beat until smooth. Add reserved blueberry mixture, milk, and egg; beat until combined. With the motor running, slowly add dry ingredients and mix until a soft, sticky dough forms.
- Heat 2" oil in a 6-qt. saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 370°. Using lightly oiled hands, roll about ¼ cup batter into a loose, sticky ball; pat gently into a disk. With your thumb, make a 1½" hole in the center of dough; carefully slide into oil and fry, flipping once, until puffed and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a baking sheet with a wire rack; repeat with remaining dough and let donuts cool completely.
- Whisk remaining jam, salt, and vanilla, plus confectioners' sugar, and ⅓ cup hot water in a bowl until smooth. Dip donuts completely in glaze and return to rack until glaze is set.