Boone Tavern’s Spoonbread
This creamy-centered cornbread pudding rises like a soufflé.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter (1 tbsp. softened, 3 tbsp. melted)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely ground white cornmeal
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. fine salt
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- Grease a 9" round cake pan with some of the softened butter. Cut out a parchment paper circle to fit inside the pan, nestle it into the bottom, and grease the paper with the remaining softened butter. Set the prepared pan aside.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, bring the milk to a boil, whisking occasionally, over high heat. While whisking, pour in the cornmeal in a steady stream. Whisk vigorously to incorporate the cornmeal, for about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to let the cornmeal mixture cool to room temperature.
- Heat oven to 350°. Transfer the cornmeal mixture to the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the remaining butter, baking powder, salt, and eggs and mix on medium speed until uniform and aerated, about 15 minutes.
- Pour cornmeal batter into the prepared pan and bake until golden brown and puffy and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Serve immediately.