Brennan's Eggs Hussarde
This New Orleans take on eggs Benedict incorporates a rich red wine sauce.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 cups plus 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped ham
- 1⁄4 cup minced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 3⁄4 cup beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 egg yolks, plus 8 poached eggs, for serving
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper, plus more for serving
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 4 slices
- 1⁄3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 slices Canadian bacon
- 8 Holland rusks
- Heat 2 tbsp. butter in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, scallions, and onions; cook until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add ham and mushrooms; cook 4 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add stock, wine, Worcestershire, thyme, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook briefly until slightly thick. Stir in 2 tbsp. parsley, and season with salt and pepper; keep red wine sauce warm.
- Heat 2 cups butter in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-low heat. Skim and discard film from surface. Pour clarified butter from pan into a bowl, leaving milky sediment behind. Fill a 4-qt. saucepan with 2" of water; bring to a simmer over medium heat and rest a heatproof bowl over pan. Add egg yolks, vinegar, cayenne, and 1 tsp. water to the bowl; cook, whisking constantly, until a thick sauce has formed, 4-5 minutes. Begin adding clarified butter in a thin stream, whisking, until all butter has been added to make a smooth hollandaise.
- Heat oven to broil. Place tomato slices on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with cheese, and broil until cheese is melted and browned, 2-3 minutes; set aside.
- Heat remaining butter in a 12" skillet over medium heat. Add bacon; cook, until warmed. Divide rusks between 4 plates; put 1 slice bacon on each. Spoon 2 tbsp. red wine sauce over bacon, and top with a poached egg. Spoon hollandaise over eggs. Garnish plates with tomatoes, remaining parsley, and more cayenne.