Brigtsen's Pan-Fried Drum Fish with Shrimp Diane Sauce
Local drum fish are served in a butter-enriched sauce at Brigtsen's in New Orleans.
Yield: serves 4
- 4 (8-oz.) filets drum fish
- 1⁄4 cup Creole seasoning
- 9 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 3 oz. medium raw shrimp (about 7), peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1⁄4 cup fish stock
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- Tabasco, for serving
- Season fish with half the Creole seasoning; set aside. Melt 3 tbsp. butter in a 12" cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish; cook, flipping once, until cooked through, about 8 minutes; transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.hrough, about 8 minutes; transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Add 2 tbsp. butter to the skillet; return to medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook until browned, 2-4 minutes. Add remaining Creole seasoning, plus scallions, garlic, and salt; cook until soft, 3 minutes. Add shrimp and stock; cook until shrimp are just pink, 3 minutes. Whisk in remaining butter, plus parsley, until sauce is smooth. Pour sauce over fish; garnish with more parsley, and serve with hot sauce on the side.