The Brow Burner
Dubbed the Brow Burner for its garnish of flamed orange peel, this sophisticated take on a classic whiskey and ginger ale highlights the sweet and spicy notes of its ingredients. Drambuie adds a touch of scotch, honey, and herbs, mellowing out the kick of fresh ginger and whole peppercorns.
Yield: makes 1 Cocktail
For the Ginger and Peppercorn Simple Syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups filtered water
- 1 cup demerara or raw cane sugar
- 4 oz. ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. whole black peppercorns
For the Cocktail
- 2 oz. whiskey
- 1⁄4 oz. spiced whiskey liqueur, like Drambuie
- 2 dashes orange bitters, such as The Bitter Truth
- 1 dash mole bitters, such as Bittermans Xocolatl Mole bitters
- 1⁄2 oz. infused syrup
- 1 strip fresh orange zest, for garnish
- Make the syrup: Combine the water, Demerara, ginger, and peppercorns in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar. Turn the heat down and keep the mixture at a gentle simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Strain the mixture into a jar or bottle. The syrup will keep, refrigerated, for 2-3 weeks.
- Make the cocktail: Combine the whiskey, Drambuie, ½ oz. infused syrup, and bitters over ice in a mixing glass. Stir until the glass is frosted, and strain into a martini or coupe glass. Pinch the outside of the orange zest and wave it over a flame for several seconds. Squeeze zest sharply to release the citrus oils and surge the flame. Gently circle the caramelized side of the zest around the rim of the glass and float atop the surface of the cocktail.