Use this rich, buttery dough to make classic Christmas cookies.
Yield: makes About 3 Dozen
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed. Gradually add sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla, then reduce speed and add flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Divide dough into four equal portions and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Roll out one portion of dough on a floured surface, cut into desired shapes, arrange about 1" apart on buttered nonstick baking sheets, and decorate as desired. Bake for about 5 minutes. Rotate baking sheets, then continue baking cookies until golden, about 5 minutes more. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and allow to cool. Repeat process, rolling out, cutting, and baking remaining cookies. Finish decorating and serve.