This recipe is borrowed from cookbook author Anne Willan, who developed it at her cooking school, La Varenne, in Burgundy, France. Willan calls them “burnt beans” in her book_ From My Chateau Kitchen_ (Clarkson Potter, 2000), noting that they are “a revelation to those familiar only with crisp beans”.
- 1 stick (8 tbsp.) unsalted, cultured butter (like Lescure Beurre des Charentes)
- 1 1⁄2 lb. green beans, trimmed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add green beans and season lightly with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook beans, turning often with tongs, until they are caramelized, about 45 minutes. Taste and season, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beans to a serving platter. Pour the butter and pan juices over the beans and serve promptly.