Angela Tovar Morales, a cook at La Casa Dragones—the home of Casa Dragones Tequila in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico—gave us the recipe for her classic guacamole with fresh tortilla chips. For the best results, she suggests making it in a molcajete, or mortar and pestle.
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 tbsp. minced cilantro
- 4 serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 3 ripe avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1″ chunks
- 1 plum tomato, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 Juice of lime
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- In a large bowl or molcajete, combine onion, cilantro, chiles, and garlic; sprinkle heavily with salt, and mash with a fork or pestle into a chunky paste.
- Add avocados, tomato, and lime juice, and stir to combine, mashing some of the avocado slightly as you stir. Season with salt, and serve with fresh tortilla chips.