Tart cherries bring sweet-sour flavor to this simple salad of herbs and roasted beets.
- 1 lb. medium beets, scrubbed
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
Heat oven to 400°. Place beets, 3 tbsp. olive oil, salt, and pepper in an 8"-square baking dish and cover with foil; cook until tender, 1-1 ½ hours. When cool enough to handle, peel beets and cut into 1" pieces; set aside.
Heat remaining oil plus butter in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add cherries, salt, pepper, and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Stir in juice, pour sauce over beets, and mix to combine; let sit until room temperature and garnish with cilantro and parsley.