North African cooks use this aromatic, paprika-spiced sauce to marinate fish and dress cooked vegetables.
- 3⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. sweet or smoked paprika
- 10 sprigs fresh cilantro, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red Fresno or Holland chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 shallot, halved and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt, to taste
Combine first 10 ingredients in a medium bowl and season with salt. (For a smoother consistency, purée in a food processor.) Cover and let sit at least 1 hour at room temperature to let flavors meld.
Sauce will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 4 days.