Chicken Sauce Piquante
Tender, mild chicken combines perfectly with the bite of cayenne in this Acadian favorite.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 lb. chicken pieces
- 1 (1-lb.) can whole tomatoes, crushed
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. cayenne
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
- Make a roux with the oil and flour. Add onions, peppers, celery, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces, tomatoes, 1 cup hot water, sugar, bay leaves, salt, cayenne, and thyme. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until chicken is tender, about 1 hour. Adjust seasoning. Stir in parsley. At table, a dash of Tabasco adds bite.